Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Elephants Never Forget!

 
Elephants Never Forget!
by Anushka Ravishankar
 
Part I

Ravishankar, A. (2007). Elephants never forget. India: Tara Publishing.

Genre: Children's picture book, Multicultural

Grade Level/Age: K-8/5-13

Part II

So far, this is my favorite book that I have read because of this class. I've read it twice and I've completely fallen in love with it. I almost chose a different book because I knew someone else was going to blog it, but I couldn't help myself. It is the sweetest book I've ever read that really warmed my heart. My thoughts behind the craft of Elephants Never Forget! are extremely positive. First, I loved the simplicity of colors. As you can see on the picture above (cover of book), the color is narrowed down to only a few. Through the story you read about an elephant who is lost and looking for home. The elephant comes across monkeys who aren't any help or very welcoming. Then, the elephant comes across buffalos who he has fun with, but isn't sure if they enjoy his company. At the end of the story, the elephant realizes that the buffalos do enjoy his company and he fits right in with them even though he is different. The reason I believe this book is for all grade levels is because not only does it cover multicultural differences in a positive way, it also covers bullying. I might be stretching it a little, but when I read this story I felt as though I was the elephant at one point in my life and I went through a lot of monkeys to find my way, but I fit in with the buffalos and I'm happy.

Part III

This story in considered a multicultural story. I feel it is one big metaphor. You can't pinpoint a culture or a country, but you can analyze the similarities the story has with other multicultural themes. It would be like any person going somewhere that is unfamiliar to them and trying to see where they fit it. The plot of this story is a lonely elephant trying to fit in and goes through a journey to do so. It takes place in a jungle theme and has a Dr. Seuss style. There are fun words that describe sounds of the storm and sounds of the animals. The author is the Dr. Seuss of India.

Part IV

Grade: 5
Objective:
  • Students will identify the metaphor of the story
  • Students will reflect their interpretation of the story
  • Students will share their own story of being the elephant at one time in their life in their class journal
Lesson Sketch:
  1. Resurface metaphors with students.
  2. Students silently reads story to themselves.
  3. Teacher reads story aloud.
  4. Discuss the metaphor of the story.
  5. Write personal reflection of story in journal.
Discussion Questions:
  • What is a metaphor?
  • How is Elephants Never Forget! a metaphor to life?
  • What personal experience have you had as a metaphoric elephant?
CCSS- Reading Literature and Writing

http://www.corestandards.org/ELA-Literacy/RL/5/4
Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative language such as metaphors and similes.
http://www.corestandards.org/ELA-Literacy/W/5/1
Write opinion pieces on topics or texts, supporting a point of view with reasons and information.   

Outside Sources:

It was really hard to find outside sources for this book that could give a different take on a lesson plan. So, I decided to look on Pinterest for some creative things that involve metaphors and journaling. I also posted a link to a website that has an app for finding books. It helped me a lot at the library when I needed to find books for the reading log.

http://www.pinterest.com/hewittl/similes-and-metaphors/ -- Fun things to do with students at school or at home to teach metaphors.  
http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=journaling -- If students are going to write personal and reflective pieces, adding it to a journal can keep creativity in the class room.
https://www.goodreads.com/ -- Here is a website that also has an app to help find books you are looking for in this class.

Elphants

No comments:

Post a Comment